“It’s like cross-country skiing without the snow!”
Nordic walking originated in Finland, with elite cross country skiers using it to maintain their fitness during the summer months. It’s grown into a popular form of outdoor exercise, enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels, all over the world.
It’s an ideal fitness activity if you have a love of the outdoors (and perhaps don’t like gyms!), want to exercise to improve your strength, fitness, health and well-being, lose weight, tone up and enjoy exercising with others.
What does it offer above plain old walking?
With the proper technique:
- It is a fantastic workout for the whole body – you use 90% of your major muscles, toning not just your legs and bottom, but your arms, shoulders and chest too.
- It can help with weight loss – using the poles to engage your upper body helps you burn 20-40% more calories
- It reduces impact on your knees and joints
- It releases tension in the neck and shoulders, improves your posture and gait, and conditions your abdominals to improve your core stability
- the poles provide propulsion which makes walking feel easier but also makes it way more effective, moving you from 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel drive!
Nordic walking is suitable for nearly everyone, nearly everywhere. It is not only physically beneficial but as “green” (outdoor) exercise it can hugely improve your emotional and mental wellbeing. It can be a very social way to exercise, as there are many Nordic walking groups lead by experienced instructors that you can join to exercise safely outdoors together.
How can you try it?
Turn your walk in to a workout! To feel the benefits that Nordic Walking can offer, and see if it is for you, please contact us to book a FREE taster session in or around Dorking and the Surrey Hills.